From the mouth of Babes...

One of a member of my vast extended family, has a congenital deformity (although I hate to use the word deformity), ie he was born with hypoplastic legs (look it up) . Johan did point him out when we were at the kampung but I told him not to point. That was about 8 days ago. Tonite, Johan was sitting next to me and he said -
Mummy, the short uncle has God's feet.

Me: Sorry? Which "short" uncle (naturally I thought he meant my youngest bro heh heh - sorry ahhh)

Johan: The short uncle in the kampung with the short legs, he has God's feet, you know.

Me: Oh, that Uncle..how do you know?

Johan: Cause he told me.

Me: Oh, did he ? you mean, you asked him? (oh dear!) What did you say?

Johan: I asked him why is he short (I sort of grimaced at this but away from his sightlah) and why his legs are like that , and he said that they come from God...he has God's feet mummy..

Me: Oooohhhh- er, dumbstruck. (that is however, a veryy nice way of putting it)

I told him the Uncle is special and that God has given him special limbs. As to why, (of course the favourite word now) , I said God has a ...er.. reason (what is the synonym for "special"?) And that Johan should be grateful for what God has given him- but I did not want him to think that he is better off than the Uncle ,although I do want him to be grateful. But ....Grateful means you think you ARE better off than the other person..which is totally not what I want him to think.

Er... Is it discriminatory to recognise deformity as an imperfection? I guess, only if it actually affects how you treat them- ie with less respect perhaps. This Cousin of mine, is a fully active member of the family- joining in the telematch- and he plays a mean guitar. We know he is disabled. But he is still normal. And he has loads of girlfriends. And he has a diploma in music.

And now, he has God's feet.!

Comments

Dad of Four said…
Good to know that your cousin bothered to explain and understand the mechanics of a young mind!
yeah,he could have gotten annoyed/hurt etc

Popular Posts