Open House

Selamat Hari Raya...

It's still going on...the Open House season....it can be fun but it can also be madness if you go to more than 4 Open Houses a day and drag your tired kids behind ...

That's why, as for our family, we've not gone to too many, but we have received guests. I hope our friends know that they do not need to wait for Open Houses to come visit us. Yesterday we had 3 couples over(unplanned) , and I served plain rice and basically everyday dinner lauk/dishes -not very Raya like at all (ok there WAS some ketupat daun palas around courtesy of my mom who knew her daughter would not be cooking up rendang etc since she left the UK and mom was around) and we were chatting until very late.

Today mom told me that Uncle X has JUST called to ask us over to his house but then this would clash with Friend A and Friend B who have issued invites weeks back. So how? If don't go, my dad would definitely feel I've insulted the entire Sudin clan...so compromise, will go but after the 2 friends. Sigh..privelege of uncles to invite last minute and expect FULL attendance.

Anyway I read this article about how the concept of Open House is actually not good as it implies that you can only go on that day, and what happens if you don't get an invite? Kan dah kecik hati.....But personally I think Open Houses are convenient for the hosts who can plan how much food to cook etc but OF COURSE you can come over any other time ...only you'd need to call etc. I know the Malaysian way is not to call and to just appear , unannounced, at the friend's doorstep but in this day and age when the "lady of the house" also work and therefore busy also, it's only considerate to call first.

However, there have been times when we decided to visit our friends, uninvited. We do make sure we bring the food etc so that they are not too inconvenienced by our visit and we don't stay too long!

In Malaysia I believe people used to be very malu-malu (coy) - and in general they still are; For eg they won't say "Yes, I'd love one" if the host asks "Would you like a drink"? . If the hosts are dumb enough to ask in the first place I would bet that the answer would be "Eh no lah, jangan susah susah/ don't go to so much trouble..we just ate etc etc". And the right thing to do if you are the Asian host is to go ahead and make that drink any way . Actually, the right thing to do is to serve that drink without asking them.

In the western world, SORRY Lah...you'd be taken at face value and you'd leave the house with no drink or food. Hehehhe serve you right. Nowadays though I have been honest and said "Thanks very much, I would love a drink etc etc" - Western training? Or is this the better option? I'm rather proud of the verbal dance we Asians use. Heheheheh.."berlapik" as they say. Subtle and for you to read between the lines.

Whatever it is, do come over whenever you feel like it. Call first though then I can cook for you!

Comments

Bj said…
You are very correct. "Tak payah susah-susah...", tapi bila dah hidang, habis jugak! I've been wanting to go to your house, but tak sempat2 lagi. Nanti lah one of these nights... we'll drop by, definitely! I miss you lah!
Dad of Four said…
Bila nak raya rumah you? Bz bz bz....
MAMAMIA said…
Once u dah buat raya open house, people expect u to do it every year. Kalau tak buat, they all segan nak datang...
Lan0stZz said…
hehe i abeskan garlic bread, spegeti and ketupat palas u. THANK YOU!!! :):) nanti nak dtg lagi :):)
Hi Bj..

i just remembered that we drpped by your place and we didnt bring anything either eeee malunyee I...
Hey Dad of Five

mai lah..anak anak you dah lama datang. Jom camping nak this friday.
Hi Mamamia

You think? Alamak...I do enjoy the open houses though tapi tulah penat kan. You tak buat open house ? btw i k now i owe you a tag...
Lanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa---come again bring seth - send seth over je pun ok hehehehehe

Popular Posts