Foster Parenthood Day 1

Saya suda menjadi ibu kepada enam orang anak..

I am today, officially a "foster parent". Our daughter for 20 days is a 12 year old girl from Riau- A while back we agreed to take in a girl from Indonesia as an exchange student- I totally forgot that today is the "handing over" day.

So we went to the school- parents were slowly gathering - Madam President of Mercy was also taking a child in, I hear. I went with Sophia and Sara- who showed a total lack of shyness and came along to their school even though they ponteng the whole day.

When we arrived the kids were at solat. We talked to the officers/teachers from the school . The school is a full time boarding school - kids who came ranged from 12 to 17. I relax lagi tu.. Borak borak- chatted to the teachers. They arrived by ship from Pekan Baru ( a 7 hour journey) - they spent the night in Malacca before they took the bus to KL.

The chairman of AD*NI then gave a welcoming speech. Followed by the representative of the school. 20 kids , 11 of them girls, parents, and teachers from both Babussalam and Ad*ni, sat listening to the speeches. I was fixed to the chair scared stiff and getting worse by the minute. The girls looked so muslimah, and I have no idea what they will think of our rowdy, noisy, Hannah Montana-y, household - I texted husband - What have we done!

Can we be good parents to these children? My kids do not wear hijab outside of school - Does this mean that we are bad parents? My hair, is red . I am soooooo dead. Although I do cover up of course in the school. Should I keep on covering up then? (Wearing tudung is something that I do want to do but with the full blessing of my husband who is at the moment not 100% behind it yet, despite warnings that he will shrivel into a piece of burnt toast under the fires of hellllllll if he continues to let me walk around with a naked head.)

The lady from Babussalam's speech made me sad.. and panicky!!! So menyayat hati .. She said , please take care of these children, they are entrusted to you. Please guide these children. They are here, from different economic background. Some are doctors' children, some have parents who are office workers, some parents are farmers, and , if they're really really unfortunate, some have lawyers as parents. (haha)
Please tolerate them., teach them, to make their own bed (they're expecting own bed??) , to throw rubbish in the bins, to wash up (hey I'm trying to get my kids to do that too) .

Banyak lagi lah pesanan dia...ok ok it was more menyayat hati if you were there. Then parents were called one by one and introduced to the child/ren. Some parents (or "orang tua asuh") took more than 1. Finally I stood up and the poor girl who's going to tolerate 3 weeks in my house, stood up too, She came and salam me, Some foster parent hugged their kids. Some boys just went up to their foster mother and out of deference, just nodded or put their hand like " namaste" greeting - you know? Sebab taknak salam.

So my new daughter,,ok lah she looked - like us . What WAS I expecting- a maid ke? She is fair, about 12- birthday in about a week (hey she's an Aries too!) and she is - amazingly- the anak doktor. Is this good ? Tak sure lah but at least she wont be too terkejut badak in my house.

She's a bit serious. She got the third degree from my 2 giggling back up singers, Sophia and Sara. She said her parents could not send her to the port as her father was busy and her mother was in the hospital. I said she can call the mom and dad if she likes...

She terperanjat gak lah I suspect...the house is FULL at the moment..My in laws are here and my cousin came as well and basically she just has to adapt lah. I asked her if she wanted to go out with me and she said she's worried she may not wake up the next morning for school!! My kids all nganga...tak pernah dengar dialog tu...hahahahahah

Ok lah we shall wait and see. Hubby said, be yourself. He introduced himself and told me she salamed him . The teacher asked them to call us Mummy and Daddy - eh ye ke?? I said can call Auntie and Uncle tak...aiseymen....

Good luck to Us!!

Comments

MrsNordin said…
Wow... it's so good what you're doing! I'd like to do that as well, esp. the poor children.

I think she'll adapt well in your household, what with her father being a doctor as well (I think they fixed that on purpose). If she's lonely, she can talk to your maid.

Throw a special birthday party for her forthcoming birthday. I'd like to come!
Yaah the maid is allready an interpreter ..

I was also thinking of giving her a party- but its a working day so maybe I'll get a cake and pizza and send to her school what do you think.
MrsNordin said…
No, buy the cake & pizza and do it at home. Buat malam lah. I think it's nicer if her "foster parents" are there at her party. Then you all can take photos etc.

Just out of curiousity, is the standard of living of a doctor in Riau and KL the same? What school does she go to there?
MrsN- good idea- !! u can definitely come.

you know bj- i hv to ask the teachers.. She's in smk babbussalam..

Popular Posts