You and Your Five Minutes

Hi there- yes I've managed to wrestle the PC back. We HAVE to get another laptop . (Can we make it a Pink Dell and tell Sophia it's her birthday present?)

So yes, the posting above is about some people's perception of FIVE MINUTES. Someone I know and love dearly and who is perfect in every other way, seem to think that FIVE MINUTES is a concept rather than a fixed time. That and "COMING". or "IN A SHORT WHILE". Hence many a times, I would be waiting for this otherwise perfect someone, who tells me in no uncertain terms that I was not to move from my spot as he would be coming in FIVE MINUTES to fetch me from work (we car pool) , only to find that the five minutes is anything from half an hour to maybe 2 hours.

Yesterday the five minutes stretched to two hours. The poor (otherwise perfect and lovely) guy was stuck in a meeting and could not get out. And could not sms me. Because his hand was also stuck in a meeting. Of course I was a bit peeved. Not because I was unnecessarily having to do extra hours in the office - but because to me it is a problem that can be very easily solved - by letting the person who is waiting for you, know of any variation to the agreed time.

It's like any contract. One party cannot be changing the terms unilaterally. Any variation must be mutually agreed. If you think there will be any event that will render keeping to the original terms impossible, then you must let the other party know. Ek? Just let the other party know, then the other party is free to decide on the next course of action.

This (otherwise perfect and lovely) person, finds it very perplexing that I see it that way. He can't let me know because there is no point as he was going to get me any time now. Hehehehehehe...

Now, after a calm and rational discussion, (hahahahaha) we have decided that even if a party gives a time for the other party to adhere to - it is only a concept and if the other party feels that he / she wants to vary or not depend on that time, he/she is free to not stick to it. Ie , if I don't want to wait, just go home.

I can't do that you see. Because I'd be thinking- If I take a cab NOW, what if, in FIVE MINUTES, he'd really be here?? Then I'd be wasting the cabfare! So I pun tungguuuuulah

So why not buy a car then? No one will have to wait for the other.

Well.. I kind of like being in a car together in the morning...Because other than this problem, that someone is otherwise lovely and perfect!

Gimano??

Yes SIL- they are brothers and I know you know what I'm talking about.

Comments

MrsNordin said…
I think it's a Taurus thing.

MrNordin lurves doing that as well! When I asked, "Where are you?" and he said, "I'm on the way." I now know that means he's still in the office. Hasn't left yet and so, I wouldn't wait.

When I insisted to know where he was exactly, and he still insisted that he was still on the way, then I knew he'd just left his office car park. That's another 20 mins to go, not 5 mins.

That's why I don't like going to work with him coz most often than not, I'd have to wait for him longer than usual. And I hate that.

yes, I would suggest you get another car so that you're mobile. But the downside of it, he may be free to come home anytime he pleases. Can you tolerate that?
Minahsongeh said…
Not Taurus lah Izan.. He's a sagi.. same problem.

Reminded me of the time I had to carpool. Before I sold my car he promised to pick me up around 5.30 ( i finish around 5 at the time)as we leave for office early( if we go separately, usually he leaves later). But janji tinggal janji. I will have to wait like two hours for him everytime. And when he is say at the toll he'd call me and said kat bawah( not wanting to wait for me go downstairs kononnya). Lama2 of course I like ignore and wait for another 20 minutes or so. Takkan nak tunggu kat bawah berteman nyamuk.

Baru2 ni I was hungry and the kids pun hungry ..so makan first.. bagusnya bini.. The kids maid suruh tunggu baba. Anyway lama2 kakak tak tahan and wanted to eat jugak.. I called him - rupanya dah makan.. Ish ish ish...
Hi Mrs N

Its a man thing I think- I dont mind kalau they are late sebenarnye yang I cannot paham is why, if they can be so techno aware most of the time, they CANNOT call us to let us know?? Macamkan, ada mental barrier.
Hi Minahsongeh

We are too too nice to them lah Zu- I think next time we just macam diorang and makan dulu, jalan dulu,and just to complete the picture- turn off the handphone so that they all tertanya tanya...

but you know what? I suspect they all tak kisah pun kita buat like that and actually tak perasan pun..ek??
wanshana said…
HAHAHAHA! Reading the stuff you write about Jab made me think - are you sure Jab and Haizal are not twins, separated at birth?!!!

I am SO used to this -

"I'm leaving the hospital in 10 minutes..."

Forty minutes later (when he's supposed to have reached home), I would call and asked,

"Are you near home already? I nak panaskan lauk-pauk segala for you, etc",

And he would go -

"Errr...Sorry, I'm still stuck at the hospital. I don't know when I can go back. You makan dulu lah, ya?"

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
zaitgha said…
my hubby is an Aries...and he still fit to this perfectly ha ha ha...i gave up carpooling with him only after 2 months...
Hey there WanShana- memang lah sah separated at birth. And you end up waiting and waiting kan..sigh this is our life nampaknye.. I think its cause they just cannot tear themselves away from the hospital.What do you think?
Hi Zaitga! Welcome to the blog and thanks for dropping by!Maybe its them being men? :-)

Popular Posts