Reunion

Last Saturday we met up with my old flatmate from Uni, Ms G , her husband and their 2 gorgeous daughters. Ms G is a minahsalleh who until recently was the colleague of maryarkarrin's soontobe husband- who by the way goes totally unrecognised at his school- and only known as his girlfriend rather than the star.

Anyway I still remember the first day I met Ms G (and my other 4 english flatmates) ......(flashback alert!)

It was my 2nd year at Uni. Having spent the first year staying with my mom's cousin (my auntie lah tukan) her husband and her new baby , I thought I'd try staying in campus and applied, at the very last minute, for uni flats. Because I applied alone, it was up to chance where I was going to land - and I landed in this flat with 4 english girls whose friend I was replacing had pulled out at the last minute. And I got the biggest room. Needless to say, the decision to move out was not looked upon favourably by my auntie..heh heh heh...she thought I was turning my back on her..

Anyways I arrived at the flat late ...and when I went in, I heard a commotion in the kitchen. Four girls were at the table, cans everywhere, happy as they can be. Me not realising that happy means tipsy. They stared at me, in my "tudung" ! I bet they thought "oh NO!" ..They asked me if I wanted to have a drink and I said "Sorry I don't drink" and that sent them howling with laughter.

Anyway...surprisingly (?) we got on well...I got particularly close to Ms G and her friend, Ms They learnt that not all muslim women are backward (Ihope) and that they can be just as mad as anyone else..she was telling me that I was mad withOUT the drinks and can't imagine what it would be like if I do take alcohol!! Oh the memories...heh heh

So... she has been in Malaysia for the past 8years can you believe it. I saw her like, three times only. The third being last Saturday. She and her husband had to leave Malaysia as they are only allowed to stay for ten years only...

We met them again at KLCC paddling pool- mak ada polis pompuan kat situ, kejap kejap PRETTTTTT!!!! Wisel dia ..mak datok- picnic TIDAK dibenarkan LANGsong!! Budak main salah sikit je- preeeeeeeetttt!!

We stayed there until about 1pm, munching on the various tidbits we bought. Janji 10 am, sampai 11 kot- glad to see that my matsalleh friends pun dah adapt to Malaysian time. G and I chatted as if we had been in touch all this time, and of course, we talked about the kids and our kids going to Islamic school.

And , just like in the UK, I found myself explaining about the religion! Again! My non Muslim non Malay friends used to be very curious about it as in why? Why was I a Muslim, why was I wearing a headscarf? Why Islamic banking? Why Islamic school? Why Islamic anything?? Sure its not just culture??? Of course, my friends were very tactful and nice about it, as in they take whatever good values that can be found from every religion there is.

Penatlah berdebat...Always I get the urge to say Islam is NOT a terrorist religion. You have to be sure of yourself to answer..understand why your faith is what it is....why you are a muslim..not because your parents are...tapi how to explain? you pun bukan ustazah kan..The reason orang puteh curious sangat kan, is that we flaunt our religion - we are out there, in the hijabs, with our beards, working etc. We are not like nuns, restricted to the convent. Maybe that is why we are looked at suspiciously.

Why Islamic School? Sigh...ok everyone needs spirituality. Everyone needs spiritual guidance. I believe that. So we think this is the way we can help out our kids get grounded. Although of course ada kelemahannya...I want to increase the nonmalay content for eg...

Wah heavynye!! Anyway it was still a very fun meeting... and she is coming over for dinner one of the nights...

Everyone should have a foreign friend I think- it makes you appreciate yourself ! Heh heh...

Comments

kerabu mangga said…
you were in a headscarf? why bukak?
Hi kerabumangga.. ada sebab yang baik...dan munasabah....namun it was not easy...
kerabu mangga said…
ok. i respect your decision.

Popular Posts