Morning ramblings

I have a gripe

I don't feel connected to our independence day..I didn't feel choked up and proud that we reached Independence 55 years ago..of course lah I am grateful, and I appreciate how far we have come..but it's on a cerebral plane, you know, Im not choked up the way, say, I was with the Bernas Hari Raya commercial..I don't FEEEL the love. I got to think a bit. The perasaan patriotic takda.

And you know what, I think most of us pun sama. I don't think we are sitting here thinking of how much blood was lost etc and how much sacrifice was made, to reach this place we are at. Okay we are not perfect- The non malays gripe that they are not treated as equals . the malays keep saying you were never supposed to be equals, equals would be boring..everyone gets something that offset whatever disadvantages one race feels it has- if the scholarship is now open to all race. then let the political leadership of Penang go to a Malay then. Equality must be for all and at all level. But at least, we have the luxury of complaining about this because we are a free country. We are independent and have independent problems. Even if (to me) the corruption is rife- this means that there's enough to go around (and more) to enable corruption in the first place right?  But we don't feel that, the appreciation . The patriotism...takda lak nak wave flags or what. Only lip service je. 

But let's not go there. Dah jadi political dah pulak. But on the other hand perhaps my gripe is political. The independence day was SOOO political that an apolitical person such as me, pun raasa turned off. I don't read Harakah like my dad or go to Umno events so I don't support any party (but if push come to shove I would say I am pro government- if only the jokers draining the country of funds would leave) but I did not like the way the independence was managed. 

There was no push for people to feel the love. Not all of us remember our history about how Malaysia was formed. Were there banners showing our fighters? Were there? Or I missed it? Did I also miss the adverts that show our struggles and how much we suffered under colonial masters? Did they show that? Any articles in mainstream papers about how demeaning it was to have to call other people Tuan and make sure they get a lot of your revenues back to the ol' blighty? Please tell me where. The shopping malls? Any events on merdeka? Ok we have raya. but raya was 10 days before independence day. So can lah do something. 

Anyway....maybe its not important..we need to remember that independence is a blessing....entah entah tak lama...it can easily be taken away , as everything can! 

Eh political pulak pagi ni ek..ok ok lah i have to blitz my house this morniing. SOOO Semak. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hear, hear!

Popular Posts